Sunday, May 24, 2009

Movies I'm Excited For


I am incredibly excited for two movies that will be releasing in the year or so. The first is “A Christmas Carol.” It is a computer animated movie using motion capture technology, in the vein of “The Polar Express,” and “Beowulf.” The reason for doing this is so the casting directors can justly turn Jim Carrey into the roles of Ebenezer Scrooge and the three spirits of Christmas without having to waste a lot of time on different make up for the actor. There is only one little clip so far, and it already looks promising. Not to mention that Jim Carrey is my favorite actor, and has been since I was a young child. He’s my idol, and if I can reach even half of what he is, in terms of success and accomplishment, then I will be extremely happy with my life.

The next movie I am excited for is “M. Night Shyamalan’s The Last Airbender,” (which I believe will be shortened simply to “The Last Airbender” upon release). It’s an adaptation of a children’s cartoon that aired on Nickelodeon. For a children’s cartoon, however, the story was greatly complex, the characters were well written and had real emotions and moral dilemmas, and the premise itself was completely outstanding. Unlike most, I am not worried about M. Night Shyamalan directing, because this is a movie he is making for his children, so he will be keeping it as close to the cartoon as possible. The story had enough twists in it to cover his need for twists without him having to alter the ending anyway. The fact that he brought in new talent for the title character is a plus, meaning rather than just go with some Hollywood teeny bopper who would have probably raked in more money at the initial box office, he held actual casting calls in high schools, and found a young man named Noah Ringer from Texas. Noah has never been in a movie before, probably never dreamed he would have the opportunity. And now here he is, the main character in one of the biggest movies of 2010. That’s really saying something about the commitment to the source material that Mr. Shyamalan has.

Funny how the only image I could find of Jim Carreys' Scrooge model has some guys reflection in it. It looks like a watermark, does it not?

Doc out.

No comments:

Post a Comment