Thursday, June 18, 2009

E3 Hangover

E3, the Electronic Entertainment Expo, was pretty outstanding this year. Getting back to the glitz and glamour that it tried to abandon last year. I think that it's safe to say that everytime Nintendo takes a step forward, they take three steps back. 3 new Mario games, a hint at a new Zelda, and a Metroid game made by Team Ninja are all awesome, but then they talk about things like Demo Play that look to ruin the experience of all of those games as if that's what we all want. And the vitality sensor? Really Nintendo, do we even matter to you anymore?

Sony wasn't much better. The PSP Go is going to be a failure. And this isn't the mindless rant of someone who hates Sony. This is the rant of a man who understands that when you have one failing handheld in the market and you make another that doesn't even support the games that your first failed handheld uses, you fail as a company. Miserably. The God of War demo was supposed to blow me away, but with the shortness of it, and the lack of a more than memorable moment, I just felt like I was watching someone play the first one, only it was prettier. And Final Fantasy XIV? I think that's going to be the shortest time an exclusive has sold out to another company ever. PS3's motion control rod or whatever didn't intrigue me in the slightest, because I've seen it already. It's called the Wii.

Microsoft is the company that keeps on rocking, strangely. With a new Raiden themed Metal Gear coming it's way and all of their other, badass announcements, Microsoft is the only company that really put on a good show this year. I liked it, and am looking forward to it all except Natal, for similar reasons as Sony's Dildos (as I call them). I've seen it before, and it didn't impress me then.

Keep your eyes on the future. We've been in this generation for 3 years. By next E3, don't be surprised if you start hearing information on X720 or PS4, or Wii Video Games for Casual People 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment